Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:21:57 -0700 From: firstname.lastname@example.org ("Sherry Bohlen") Subject: [aapjannouncements] PLEASE COME! MCCAIN'S OFFICE -- NOON, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28! To: email@example.com Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
------=_NextPart_000_0285_01C24CE2.064AF210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
WHAT: MEETING WITH SENATOR MCCAIN OR HIS REPRESENTATIVE
WHERE: SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN'S OFFICE, 2400 E. ARIZONA BILTMORE CIRCLE, PHOENIX
WHEN: 12 NOON, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28
WHY: TO ASK THE HARD QUESTIONS ABOUT A WAR IN IRAQ
WHAT YOU CAN DO: BE THERE! Rally outside McCain's office to support those going in to ask the hard questions!
On Wednesday, August 28, at 12 noon, a group of local citizens will be gathering at Senator John McCain's office to call for "No Attack on Iraq". A group of 10-12 people will go inside to speak with Senator McCain(or his Deputy State Director, Babette Donaldson) and ask the hard questions about a war in Iraq.
At this point, Senator McCain is unwilling to meet with us personally (although he's in town). We are scheduled to meet with his Deputy State Director. If he knows, however, that a significant number of people are gathering, he might decide that it was politically advantageous to meet with us personally.
If you are able to come and stand in support of those going in to "ask the had questions", please respond to email@example.com. And, please spread the word to others -- asking them to come and asking them to let me know in advance so we have some indication of the strength of our numbers!
Following are some of the hard questions we'll be asking:
1. Will You Assert The Constitutional Authority Of Congress In Any Decision To Declare War On Iraq?
2. Will You Ask The Bush Administration Tough Questions Regarding War With Iraq? Questions like:
* Why don't our allies support a pre-emptive strike against Iraq?
* What are the long-term consequences of a U.S. "go-it-alone" approach in a war with Iraq?
* How would a U.S. war with Iraq affect the stability of the Middle East? What would happen to prospects for peace between Israel and the Palestinians?
* What impact will American action have on governments such as Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Turkey?
* How many would be killed or maimed in such a war? Military experts suggest that Saddam Hussein would concentrte his forces in Baghdad and other highly populated urban areas. This scenario would produce heavy civilian and military casualties.
* How would the Administration keep a post-Saddam Iraq together and avoid a balkanized outcome?
* How many years and how many tax dollars is the Administration willing to commit to a post-Saddam Iraq? Is the Administration committed to a 5-10 year U.S. military occupation and a $100 billion economic recovery program?
Thanks for your continued commitment to peace.